[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:47 CST 2003

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 @ 14:39 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:28:38PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Going aside to something even more geeky:
> >
> > I have a good time playing a game called Infiltration.  It's a realistic
> > combat mod for the old Unreal Tournament game.
> >
> > Most people hate the game, because it isn't the normal cartoon-combat
> > first person shooters they are used to.
>
> [snippage]
>
> Sounds interesting.  Where can I find it?

infiltration.sentrystudios.com

You need to have a Linux x86, Mac, or Windows x86 machine, and a copy of
Unreal Tournament to install this modification.

It's not perfect, but it was done by a bunch of enthusiasts, and some of
the maps are very good.

The UT engine is dated now, but they know it really well.

I think there are projects to try and port Infiltration to the UT 2003
engine, but that will likely take some time.

> > I like it because team combat in most FPS is impossible, because the
> > game usually allows Rambo tactics.
>
> Ever played Ghost Recon?  I find it the best and most realistic FPS I've
> used.

I have heard of it, but can't remember if I played it or not.

Is that a Tom Clancy game?  I had one of his game series, one that was
small combat ops, either SWAT or SpecOps teams.  Mostly anti-terrorist
missions.

> Unlike UT, GR *DOES* allow for location-specific wounding, with various
> resulting degrees of disablement depending on the location of the hit
> and what you were hit with.
[snip goodies]

Sounds interesting.

Unfortunately, I removed Windows two weeks ago because I finished all of
the missions in a game I was playing.

UT/Infiltration work under Linux.

> The weapons are also VERY accurately modelled, operation-wise, and
> it's visually excellent.  (To quote one friend: "DUDE!  The LEAVES on
> the fucking TREES move!")  The most important limitation, IMHO, is
> the limited maximum range imposed by the rendering engine's necessary
> distance-fog limit, though if you have a fast CPU and graphics card,
> there are patches available that push the haze limit out, at some cost
> to frame rate in places.  I like this myself, as it makes for much
> more effective sniping.

I have a 700MHz Athlon system with 256MB of RAM, and an nVidia GF2
graphics card.  It struggles to play a lot of FPS games now.

> I had one special-ops trooper stop an AK round almost at the end of her
> mission.  She completed her mission with a sucking chest wound, and got
> a CMH for it.  (And, to add to the realism, she was unavailable for the
> next mission, recuperating from her wound.)

Sounds cool.

Infiltration isn't designed like that, as it is designed for combat
from level to level with static or random teams.  You have N rounds per
match, with one match per map.

> > The other team quit anyway, saying that I had cheated and hacked the
> > game server.  As one of them put it, "There is no fucking way you
> > are still alive after all that lead!"
>
> Heh.  Pissant wankers.  :)

It was kind of funny... even though it is a game, it gets your heart
beating sometimes, precisely because your health is finite.  You can't
grab powerups to regain your health.  That's why I like realistic FPS
games.  The idea that you invest time into a player which can end in an
instant completely changes how people play the game.

When getting killed means being out of the game, or having to restart
back at home base as a reinforcement, there is a lot of incentive to
keep your head down.

> Oh yeah...  speaking of death, in GR, "When you're dead, boy, you're
> fucking DEAD."  And not just for that mission.

That makes sense for GR.

For INF, it doesn't, because it is a competitive combat system designed
for online play.  It has no single player missions.

It is purely a combat competition.

Of course, you can play against bots, but even in the new version they
are a little bit blind and still predictable.