[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:46 CST 2003

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:34:58PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I thought too though, that a 3-round burst was considered good against
> troops with extensive body armor?

Urban legend.  Body armor that will stop one round of a given type will
stop three rounds of the same type, unless it's a large-enough caliber
round that the armor involves sacrificial ceramic plates, and the three
rounds hit close enough together that one round hits a patch of plate
already shattered by a previous round or rounds.  This is unlikely to
happen at anything but point-blank range, because even if the ammunition
was perfectly consistent, impact point shifts as the rifle recoils from
each shot.  "Good enough" consistency for regular military ball ammo is
about 1.5 MOA, which means that at 200 yards, even firing single shots
from a machine rest, two successive shots could be as much as three
inches apart.  (Yeah, I know, a match rifle with match-grade ammo can do
much better, but your line grunts are issued neither match-grade rifles
nor match-grade ammo.)