[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:44 CST 2003

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 07:50:21AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:05:45 -0800 (PST)
> Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > If you government starts changing the constitution and nobody does
> > anything about it, I believe the last of the concerns of an American
> > citizen should be whether or not they are gonna take their weapons. As
>
> Er, no.  That's the first concern.  Because if the constitution starts
> chnging radically, some rather abrupt changes are going to be forced on
> us, and then it'll be go time.

It's widely said among, as Jeff Cooper puts it, "those who understand
the problem" that the Second Amendment is the most important of all,
because it protects all the rest.  Your right to free speech, your right
of freedom against unlawful search and seizure, etc, are all worthless
if you lack the power to enforce them.

> I don't
> know about anyone else, but I would *very* much prefer my daughter have
> the confidence and ability to defend herself and kick some ass, rather
> than be quietly victimized and unable to do anything to help herself.

Amen, brother.  And this is why as soon as she calms down enough to be
ready for it, I intend to start teaching my eldest daughter all the bok
fu/tang soo do/gojo ryu I can, to be followed (again, when she's ready)
with how to shoot.  Right now, she's afraid of the noise of even the
.22, and gets too wild for any kind of martial arts discipline -- she
*will not* calm down and pay attention, she thinks it's a game, and
having seen a lot of Cartoon Network, thinks a few exaggerated chops and
shouts make her a martial artist.

> God, the thought of defenseless people just sickens me - and by that, I
> mean that it makes me sick to think of someone being victimized and
> unable to defend themselves.

Agreed.  And what makes me more sick is the thought that there are
people out there whose heads are so twisted up that they want to put
people in that position and have honestly convinced themselves that
doing so is *for their own good*.