[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:36 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 05:41:26PM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> --- Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:14:17PM -0600, Steven Hill wrote:
> > > Mail Call has a lot to answer for!
> >
> > Oh, don't get me started.  That poseur is *annoying*.  There's a
> > reason I've only watched parts of that show by accident.
>
> He's not a poseur - see: http://www.rleeermey.net/about.php

Man, that page loads *slow*.

OK, I stand corrected.  Eleven years in the USMC is worthy of respect.
But he sure *comes across* as a poseur, because his on-screen persona
(for Mail Call, at least) is so over-the-top.

> > Watermelons at ten yards with a .30 Browning, and it took
> > him about fifty rounds to actually get his first *hit*?  It
> > must have taken him about two hundred rounds to splash three
> > watermelons.
>
> Is it your contention that you *think* it took him "about fifty rounds"
> or did you actually *see* him expend "about fifty rounds"?

I happened to see the segment in which he demonstrated the firepower of
the .30 Browning against a horde of onrushing melons.  It took him at
least four to five seconds to hit the first one.

> > "Two hundred misses per minute isn't firepower.  One hit is
> > firepower."
>
> I contend that a weapon that issues 200 rounds a minute is meant to be
> pointed, not aimed...

There's a certain truth in that, but that quote was actually made with
regard to the typical Army usage of the M16 in Vietnam -- "spray and
pray" -- as contrasted to the sniper's ideal of "one shot, one kill."