[geeks] Itanium 32 bit performace.... hahahaha

jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:24 CST 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 09:11:51AM -0600, doctor obnox son of a bitch wrote:

>  At home, my primary desktop box is a pII-266 running NetBSD-1.6.1. I've
>  tried both Gnome2 and KDE3 on it. Gnome took about 2 weeks to build from
>  pkgsrc (had to hand-hack the .buildlink directories for EVERYTHING!),
>  and was very unsatisfactory in its handling of TrueType fonts. KDE
>  built with almost no problems, looked clean and tight, but was still a
>  bit too slow. I've left both of them on the box, but now I just start X
>  with a single xTerm and wmx (http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wmx/ ),
>  and start up the few KDE and Gnome proggies I liked by hand. Perverse,
>  I guess, but hey, it's MY box.

WMX.  I haven't used that in quite a long time.  It used to run like a
champ on a SS5 with some stupid, really slow 24bit card, and on a SS10
(SM100 procs) with XZ board.

In fact, I just installed in on my work desktop.  Hmm.  A hair sluggish
switching desktops.  Livable though.  This is a P4 1.4ghz piece of
trash.   Low memory.