[geeks] Itanium 32 bit performace.... hahahaha

jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:23 CST 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 08:46:25AM +0100, Bj?rn Ramqvist wrote:

> Turn off window-zooming when you minimize/maximize really helps alot
> too. Stay away from "smooth scrolling" menues and turn off shading
> menues, and things feels alot faster. I don't mind the eyecandy myself,
> it's wonderful to have my OWN desktop and window decoration, but some
> "effects" are just disturbing...

I consider smooth scrolling to be rather essential, and find it to be a
major problem in a system if it can't handle it in a modest amount of
ram.   I mean, to pull it off in a 800x1024 window should only require
something like 5 megs (assuming that we render twice as much as fits in
the window to hold as a cache for scrolling, then we don't have to
rerender for small scrolls.  1.5 the size of the window would save
memory and probably work as well, I'm not sure how much is really best,
but more than twice the window size seems to be a bit overboard) or
less, and it should significantly reduce your CPU speed requirements as
well.