[geeks] Itanium 32 bit performace.... hahahaha

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:22 CST 2003

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 @ 16:12 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
> > And that XP is a bloated pregnant sow that, from what I'm told, doesn't
> > start to perform decently in under a gigabyte of RAM....  Every new
> > generation of Windows is slower and more bloated than the one before.
>
> That's just sick.  You need more memory to properly run the OS than you
> needed disk space to install the previous incarnation.

I'm running Gnome 2.4.1, and trying to give it a fair long-term test.

It's kinda hard, as this thing is pig-city.

Much improved over earlier releases, but wow...

With just a few Ami documents, Mozilla, and misc applications open
yesterday, I was up to 700MB of virtual memory used.

I had to create a temporary 512MB swap file to keep going until I could
safely shut some things down.

Some of the Gnome code is *horrible*, and its hard to figure out how it
could need as much memory as it does.

I hope they continue working on speed improvements, but they need
to seriously look at memory use as well.

KDE and Gnome both suffer from a lack of discipline still.

Fixing bugs and doing serious performance analysis and fixes is
obviously not popular in open or commercial sources.