[geeks] Itanium 32 bit performace.... hahahaha

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:22 CST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> You know what I think is covering this lack of progress?  The video card
> manufacturers are doing a lot of the "innovation".  And most gamers
> wouldn't dream of buying a $500 video card without putting it in a
> new system with the latest whiz-bang processor.  And so their games run
> faster, but mainly because the game benefits from the extra oomph the
> video card provides....

Actually the problem with FeeCee graphics, is that those are not real
graphics cards, but rather rastering engines. A lot of the geometry is
still calculated by the processor. So the faster processor actually helps
in FeeCee graphics.

It is not like real gfx architectures like most SGI machines, in which
the actual graphic pipeline is offloaded from the processor.

> I'm betting most of those games on Itanium would be pretty fast if the
> drivers were optimized heavily for Itanium.... even if the rest of the
> game was run under "emulation"...

Itanium is dog slow at emulation anyways, so it was not a fair comparison
IMHO, I dunno if there will ever be any interest in native Itanium games
though.