[geeks] Itanium 32 bit performace.... hahahaha

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:21 CST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Either XP is a lot, lot, lot more bloated than I gave it credit for, or
> there's only an incrementfl increase in speed between my Athlon (almost
> three years old) and a Pentium 4 system built this year.  Either way,
> you'd think customers would be -screaming- for change, rather than
> whining that their favorite games will run slower on the next crop of
> Itaniums.

You know what I think is covering this lack of progress?  The video card
manufacturers are doing a lot of the "innovation".  And most gamers
wouldn't dream of buying a $500 video card without putting it in a
new system with the latest whiz-bang processor.  And so their games run
faster, but mainly because the game benefits from the extra oomph the
video card provides....

I'm betting most of those games on Itanium would be pretty fast if the
drivers were optimized heavily for Itanium.... even if the rest of the
game was run under "emulation"...

--Kurt