[geeks] YAGCT

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:20 CST 2003

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 @ 21:50 -0600, William Barnett-Lewis said:

> The flip side is I'm left ambivalent by both sides. Yep violent crime
> went down in the CCW states. Of course it went down _everywhere_ but we
> won't mention that will we?

Of course we won't, since it didn't go down near as much.

Of course, the primary point is that it did not go *up* in the CCW
states, like all the gun control people said it would.

> Oh, cops are still dying at the same rate -
> no massive jump. We won't mention that either...

Yep, mostly killed by illegal arms by people who've never been in a gun
shop.

Funny how criminals violate the law like that... :)

> I think there really is a difference between those who grow up in the
> big city (>= 250K). I have yet to meet anyone who _grew up_ in a big
> city that I'd trust with in a mile of me while holding a fire arm.

I feel the same way about cars for people almost everywhere.

Of course, the problem is training.  We don't like training here for
some reason, we think we are born with it.

> In this mess we call America, none of us who actually care are innocent
> any longer. We can disagree - but our system gives us a way to do that
> with relative sanity. If we didn't have our constitution, I'd bet the
> balkans would be a model of stability compared to us.

True, and only an armed population will ever keep that constitution and
the republic that goes with it.

There is a lot of responsibility in being a citizen.  If more people
took it seriously, I don't think we'd ever given gun control any
thought.