[geeks] Re: [rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:12 CST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 12:51:12AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 23:51:03 -0500
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > My favorite "attract every shooter at the range" piece is the Mark II*
> > Martini-Henry.
>
> Talk about being damn near artillery.  I've been keeping my eyes open
> for something in .45-90 or therabouts - but they're not too common
> around here.  Although, if a good single-shot in .600 Nitro Express
> showed up at a gun show - I might be first in line to plunk down cash.

Did you know, by the way, that .50AE (as seen in the Desert Eagle) is
ballistically equivalent to a .50-90 Sharps?

That's another thing I want to try shooting someday, just to see what it
shoots like.

> I do own a .50 in a single shot, but it takes pyrodex and a saboted
> projectile.  ;)

.45 slug in a .50 sabot?

Oh, and speaking of Nitro Express, there's this wonderful story.

It seems back in the 30s, some newshound was interviewing some notable
Great White Hunter, and asked the aforementioned nimrod why it was that
he always used a .600 Nitro Express double rifle for dangerous game.

"Because, laddie," the Great White Hunter replied in his Scots brogue,
"they don't MAKE a bluidy .700 Nitro Express."

Fast-forward to the late 50s or early 60s, and there's really not much
of a market for double express rifles any more.  With the introduction
of more modern cartridges, the Nitro Express cartridges are, frankly,
becoming obsolete.  At this time, it happens that the firm of Holland &
Holland receives an order from a collector for a very high-grade
engraved .600 Nitro Express double rifle.  But he wants his rifle to
have one unique feature -- he wants it to be the very last .600 Holland
& Holland Nitro Express double rifle ever built.

Well, the market is moribund anyway, so the management of Holland &
Holland talk it over, and they agree to this condition.  They make this
one last rifle, and close the books on the .600 Nitro Express double
rifles forever.

Now fast-forward again to 1988, and suddenly there's renewed interest in
double express rifles, and Holland & Holland receives an order for a
.600 Nitro Express double rifle.  But they can't fill the order, because
they agreed that there would be no more.

However, as they point out, that contractual agreement extends only to
the .600 Nitro Express.  They could, should the gentleman so desire,
build him a completely new rifle in a new caliber.

So now, they DO make "a bluidy .700 Nitro Express".....    :)