[geeks] Re: [rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:12 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 04:51:52PM -0700, Dan Duncan wrote:
> As I recall, 'Phil Stracchino' wrote:
> > Oy.  You believe in being loaded for bear, don't you?  :)
>
> I've since moved and don't think my neighbors would appreciate
> over-penetration so now I just use the hand cannon for plinking
> and keep a 1911 for home defense and alternate between the
> ParaOrd P10-45 and a Makarov for carry.

I don't really have anything compact, but that's been largely moot
because I've never simultaneously both possessed my own firearms and
lived in a state that'll allow me to carry'em.  When I carry at home,
the P14 is my carry gun.  It's what I'm used to, and the weight doesn't
bother me.

What do you shoot those 300-grainers in, anyway - a Ruger, a S&W, or a
Taurus?  Mine is a Ruger Super Blackhawk, and my favorite load for it
is actually 200gr JHP over 27.0gr of Hodgdon H110, which is good for
1850fps at the muzzle.  I'm a big believer in flat trajectories.  :)
(Not least because I'm a big believer in shot placement, and flat
trajectories aid shot placement.)

> I get 10+1 in my ParaOrd, but it's shorter.  If yours is a P14 or P13,
> the magazines would fit.  I actually use a (post ban) P12 magazine
> in my P10 to give my pinky something to do.

Yup, it's a P14 with the revised magazines, ambi safety, full-length
guide rod, and polished action and feed ramp.  I've looked at the P10
but never actually shot one...  I'd really like to try one sometime.