[geeks] Swapping Sparc boxes...

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:25:08 CST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Well, that depends on which device names you're using and whether you're
> using devfsd.  With "classic" Linux device names, the first SCSI disk
> found by the kernel is /dev/sda, the second is /dev/sdb, etc.  With
> devfsd running, you can specify host, bus, target, lun just like you can
> on Solaris.  I can address the third partition on my second disk as
> /dev/sdb3, or as /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part3, or as
> /dev/sd/c0b0t1u0p3.

You know, right before I got this, I checked the dmesg of the SMP sparc
10 I just upgrade from debian stable to testing.  And I saw the devfs
filename.  And I thought "finally" =)

> The nice side to "classic" Linux device names is that you can take your
> CDROM or your tape drive and change their SCSI IDs, move them to
> different busses, even different controllers, and they remain /dev/cdrom
> (or /dev/sr0, if you prefer to use that) and /dev/st0.  Likewise with
> devfsd, move the CDROM to a different bus on a different controller and
> even though it's now /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target3/lun0 instead of
> /dev/scsi/host1/bus1/target5/lun0, it's still /dev/cdroms/cdrom0.

That's true with the hard drives too, as long as you only have ONE =)

I found myself a lot more often annoyed at my devices changing than being
relieved they didn't...

--Kurt