[geeks] Sun Ultra 80 Fast Enough?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 09:56:23 CDT 2003

--- Aaron Finley <arnach at arnach.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just wondering if the Sun Ultra 80 at 2-4 processor @ 450, expert 3D
> is fast enough these days for general computing?

Yes, it hasn't gotten any slower over the years...

> I'll be doing some web design, graphic design, web surfing, and other
> things at college.

Good enough, I hope your applications can exploit multiple CPUs (as you
are paying dearly for those multiple CPUs)...

> I find the overall computer very attractive, just the processors seem
> quite outdated.

Not so out dated - besides, the 450 MHz CPUs have 4 Meg Cache, IIRC.

If you want to save some money you might have just as wonderful an
experience with an Ultra 60 and 2x 450 MHZ CPUs - 2 verses 4 CPUs for
end-user applications may not justify the cost difference. The Ultra 60
has 2x SCSI chains, room for dual framebuffers, and has the same CPU
options as the Ultra 80...

Hope this helps,

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall