[geeks] IDE question

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Thu Aug 14 12:24:51 CDT 2003

1. No, these machines are pretty much stock. no odd
additions to the IDE chain.

2. It is being detected as an "Intel Corp. 82801BA IDE
U100 (rev 04)" it is loading the "Uniform
Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31"  generic
driver i suppose.

3. no DMA timeouts and DMA is on.  I/O was set to 16bit
though.

4. haven't tried different cables, figured it was
unlikely given this same behavior on more than one
machine.  Of course it's not imposable.

5. This last time i noticed it, it was a write to the
same disk and slice, just from one place to another,
but i have seen this same issue when going form one
disk to another (from IDE to a SCSI disk.)

6.  I have had this happen with stock 2.4.20 kernels as
well, don't recall about anything less.

The machines just basically become completely
unresponsive during hard writes.  Even the mouse trips
up.  When the writes are done, all is well.  It's not
really a problem on these machines it is just a
curiosity and to me an indication that something
obviously isn't setup optimally.

Thanks for the input,
/KRM