[geeks] IDE question

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Thu Aug 14 11:44:31 CDT 2003

Kevin wrote:
> These machines are running 2.4.19 (patched with xfs and
> cryptoapi.)  They are running the default scheduler.

I've never had a problem using a stock kernel. Only seen this either using AC
patches ~ 2.4.18/19 and the O1 scheduler on stock RedHat9 or WOLK kernels -
you'd get mediocre 'not-that-heavy' disk access and near catatonic UI/shell
switching performance on a P4 with 2 100MHz disk controllers. I'm getting it
right now occasionally on this dual p3 933 but I am running ximian desktop2
and attempting to update it whilst running Mozilla...

So I guess the only other questions remaining are - do you have anything
exotic with respect to your disk controller, is it being detected correctly,
do you see any dma timeouts in dmesg, is dma on, have you tried different IDE
cables, is this disk to disk across different IDE buses or same bus or same
disk ...

Even easier - have you tried another stock kernel and experienced this ?

I have to say that I've generally been loosing favour with 2.4 all thru it's
life. I don't claim to contribute muchly to linux as a whole so never complain
about it, but I did used to think I should have stopped at 2.0 or 2.2 ;)

Hey, at least this will make 2.6 appear sooooooooo much faster.

--

Rob Fielding
rob at dsvr.net	Development	www.dsvr.co.uk