[geeks] Paper Tape

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Wed Aug 13 15:13:02 CDT 2003

You can make video DVDs with little trouble under linux
(and assumedly other unicies) using cdrtools (patched)
or dvdrecord and some extra utils.

The only ones that really have any measures to hinder
you in doing this are commercial "silver" DVDs and even
then it is only the encrypted ones.  You can't do
direct disk to disk copy because the normal blank
DVD-Rs aren't writable in the location where the
encryption key goes, so that part does not copy over.
Other than that, nothing is stopping you... well
actually size can be an issue sometimes.  DVD-5 videos
can be copied because they are less than 5 gigs.  DVD-9
are usually 8 or 9 gigs, well more than will fit onto a
normal DVD-R.

If you want to create your own DVDs from scratch, you
just need to format your content in the correct UDF
format and burn.  The trick is getting the format
correct and the files in order, but there are open
source apps to accomplish that stuff.

/KRM