[geeks] Re: [rescue] Do you remember when? Security software. ....

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Aug 12 15:05:45 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 12:54 PM, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> N.Miller [mailto:vraptor at promessage.com] on Tuesday, August 12, 2003
> 2:31 PM
> said;
>
>> There was another amazing story about testing modern warships and the
>> lack of automation I should write up some time as well.
>
> Don't tease ... tell us the story!  Um, please.

OK, I'll give the short version.  So, all warships have to have "live
testing" before they are put into service, and have to be retested
every X number of years (all systems--think about this for a second or
two; also, this was early 1990's).  Tests included things like a guy at
the front of the ship watching a series of gauges while one or more
guys in other parts of the ship did things like open valves, throw
switches, etc.  And all this had to be timed exactly.

So, the way they were doing this before the SGML consultants came to
talk to them (and write YADTD), was by going through the original
engineering documentation, and making a schedule, by hand, with cross
references for each tester on onionskin paper (overlaying schedules to
reduce errors).  Each tester was then handed his clipboard with a
synchronized watch *and* a stop watch at the beginning of the day and
would go through his check list abiding the time schedule exactly.

The Navy guys wanted to know if SGML would help them automate this. :-)

=Nadine=