[geeks] End of the IRIX line for Indy and Indigo2

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Aug 8 10:49:21 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 04:32:39PM +0100, Rob Fielding wrote:
> >I'm trying to scrape up the cash to get basic Fullcare support and
> >prodev.  After I get that, I'll be working on getting upgrades to an
> >Octane2 (expensive, but I might as well keep my eyes open to lay the
> >groundwork of PSU, frontplane, and motherboard, in hopes of the days
> >when Vpro graphics becomes affordable.  I'm guessing that dual R12ks
> >will never be cheap though).  The way I look at it, running on SGI
> >hardware a few years behind, with minimal support contract is a hair
> >cheaper than trying to run with windows or get into MacOS X.
>
> If you're going to do that within the next 5 years, I would imagine it's
> going to be cheaper for you to buy a used Octane2 straight off than try to
> build one out of bits.

> But that all depends on whether you're the sort that has tens of thousands
> or tens and twenties.

It might be cheaper to just buy a moderate Vpro Octane2.  But I can't
afford that.  On the other hand, I might in the coming year be able to
afford a single R12k processor, a new PSU, a new motherboard, a new
frontplane, or possibly all of them.   Of course, it very well could be
cheaper to keep an eye open for a R12k Octane with Xbow 1.3, and hope
for the best in motherboard and PSU than it would be to buy that list of
parts seperately.  I don't anticipate being able to afford a full blown
vpro octane2 for quite sometime, unless I start generating a revenue
stream based on the Octane I currently own.