[geeks] 13w3 adapters [was NEC FE1250 on SGI]

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Fri Aug 8 02:56:08 CDT 2003

Hi,

Further to my FE1250 -> SGI problem, I have a question about 13w3 adapters.

I have two 13w3 adapters, one with the 10 internal pins broken off.

Neither will work with my NEC monitor on my SGIs (Indy, Octane and I2). I do
have an old Sony 15sf monitor, which works with these adapters. My plan is to
kick the old Sony back to my mum after I pinched it off her 5 years ago :)

I have a question regarding the differences between the SUN and SGI 13w3
wiring standards and will blatantly show only partial understanding by my
question, so sorry if the answer is obvious :

If these 13w3 adapters were SUN specific, I would imagine they wouldn't work
with my SGI + my Sony 15sf monitor at all, correct ?

 From this, the fact that they do, suggests to me that they are infact the
correct type of adapters and that if my NEC monitor had the same sync
capabilities of Sony monitors then it should infact work ?

FWIW the NEC maintains a green light and blank screen with the 13w3 adapter
with all pins and maintains an orange standby state with the 13w3 adapter with
all the pins removed. Additionally when connected to my linux PC, when the
console blanks the NEC maintains a green light and blank screen suggesting
it's in full-power-with-no-signal state.

I'm going to carry on reading. I may even get down to maplin and see if I
can't hack up myself a converter, however given the caveats on blowing things
up I am a little hesitant. So, I can either buy a new SGI certified 13w3
adapter from somewhere or save myself the extortion and buy a better monitor
to serve me in the long run. The FE was a gimmie from a mate moving house, and
it's on a lend with possible purchase for a 100quid which is reason enough to
buy it ;)

--

Rob Fielding
rob at dsvr.net	Development	www.dsvr.co.uk