[geeks] Re: NEC FE1250 on SGI

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Thu Aug 7 05:44:28 CDT 2003

Hi

>>Anyone had success getting an NEC FE1250 to work with an SGI.
>>I haven't found a SOG specification for SGI boxen.

> https://toolbox.sgi.com/toolbox/hardware/hwHandbook/handbook_pdf/hdh2_29.pdf

Thanks. Hacking a 13w3 connector to satisfy all the requirements is probably
futher than I wanted to go, espesh as my old Sony 15sf worked out-the-box, but
it's always the way....

> You're aware that both the Indigo2 and Indy in addition to the SOG signal,
> also have standard hsync and vsync signals available at the 13w3 connector?

If only I knew more about the technical make up of signals in cables of all
kinds, I might appreciate that sentence more ;)

> Csync pin 3, hsync pin 4 and vsync pin 5. Doesn't it switch to serial output if
> you don't connect a keyboard?

AFAIK you need to specify explicitly set console!=g to get serial out,
otherwise it would just error in prom. This stands on my Indy, as I've seen it
and since the I2 powered off when I hit the power button, it would also too
suggest it was sitting in PROM.

I'll perform some rigorous testings once this damn heat wave as passed....
Thought I'd never say that being in the UK, but right now my computer room mings.

Cheers,

--

Rob Fielding
rob at dsvr.net	Development	www.dsvr.co.uk