[geeks] It lives!!!!

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Aug 4 21:24:44 CDT 2003

I picked up my "spare parts" Octane from my brother-in-law[0] this
afternoon and pulled the swap-a-roo with some of the parts.  What I
found was...interesting.  Turns out it wasn't my IP30 board after all.
I swapped out the IP30 and the damn thing still wouldn't boot - no
lights, no disk activity, nothing.

I was scared and thought that the R12k processor module had blown.  So,
I swapped everything back and started from scratch. I boot the spare
parts Octane to ensure functionality[1].  Then I pull out both IP30
boards and lay them side-by-side.  It turns out the original is an
030-0887-003 rev J.  The replacement is an 030-0887-005 rev
$can't_recall.

I decide to put the original IP30 in the new Octane chassis.  Viola!
Starts right up.  Hmm.  Methinks I have a dead xbow (frontplane).  After
much swapping in and out, I confirm that my original xbow is indeed
dead.  Anyone else ever have trouble with a dead xbow?  JP?

Anyway, I'm now happily humming right along with a pleasant woosh of air
from a living Octane and a soft blue glow from the lightbar.  I am, once
again, complete....

Next thing is, I need to find a working xbow.  1.2 or 1.3, it doesn't
matter. I'll then have a second working Octane that I either use, or
that I can sell for small money to help recoup some costs.  Unless any
y'all jackals want the pieces.  I've got a working IP30 (it's the
030-0887-005), a R10k 195Mhz, power supply, SI graphics w/ carrier,
chassis + skins, dead xbow.

[0] It arrived while I was on vacation in RI, despite me askingthe
seller not to ship until I would be home to recieve it.  My brother in
law was kind enough to schlep over to my house and lift all "six tons"
of it into his car.
[1] Again.  I did this when I first unpacked it to make sure it wasn't
DOA.

--
Kurt              hey politician, your lies are gonna get you
kurt at k-huhn.com   chickens comin' home to roost in the white house