[geeks] GPS on planes

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Fri Aug 1 09:12:18 CDT 2003

Shannon [mailto:shannon at widomaker.com] on Thursday, July 31, 2003 11:31 PM
said;

> Have you seen the new guns for the grunts? They can even fire around
> corners... the gun has various cameras and sensors, so they can fire
> blindly, using a HUD projected on in front of their eyes.

> The whole smart-soldier thing is supposed to make our military more
> effective, but I hope the gun will still fire if the batteries go
> dead...

We must have seen the same Discovery program - the rifle they were demoing
for the camera looked really fragile.  I assume when it goes into production
they'll harden the soft bits.

I haven't been comfortable with batteries since it was proven to me that,
contrary to the published manual, it _was_ possible to insert the PRC-77's
battery backwards, utterly destroying the radio.

~brian