[geeks] I am week

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Apr 29 11:55:28 CDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 04:28:58AM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> --- "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net> wrote:
> > I'm trying to get a PC running to run windows on.
>
> OK.
>
> > I also hope to give Lindows and VMWare on windows a spin, for
> > helping a friend who wants to switch, but isn't highly computer
> > literate.
>
> P2-300 MHz is a *minimal* VMWare machine, that is the Mfg. stated
> minimum, IIRC - it will be on the slow side, like a P2-100 -> P2-150
> (due to emulation overhead)...

It doesn't need to be fast, it just needs to work.

> > I have a HP kayak machine.  It seems to think that there should be a
> > fan at the top in the back, but there is none there.
>
> And you have specific error messages that point this out, right?

Yes.  I get a generic FAN error message with an error code, and the
BIOS's online help explains that that error code idicates a specific fan
is bad (a specific fan that isn't present altogether).

> > I'm fairly certain it isn't really needed for cooling, but it won't
> > boot without one.
>
> Any idea where the fan went? Can you get enough specifics to secure a
> replacement? If you can get any info on the MB jumpers, you may be able
> to "fake it out", but if the fan was there originally, it may actually
> be needed...

No idea where the fan went.  It wasn't there when I got it.  I know
where the fan header is on the MB.  It has 3 pins.

> Honestly, a P2-300 machine like you describe may make a good donor
> system to a new MB/chassis - Kayaks (IIRC, and I may not RC) are
> low-end, minimally engineered machines (i.e. small SP, limited
> expansion, etc.)... Maybe you should look for a new/known good P2 MB &
> case to transplant CPU, RAM, HD, CD, etc...

I think you might be thinking of the Vectras.  The Kayaks are the high
end intel machines from HP.  Moderate expansion (2 HD bays, externally
accessable, plus 3-4 external 5.25 bays, 3 PCI, 1 AGP), with features
like an optional hardware raid controller port (I lack the card, and
probably wouldn't find it worth buying even though they are cheap), 2
channels of onboard SCSI (fast narrow, and ultra wide), etc.  An option
at the time the machine was currect was fx8 graphics, which was a
several thousand dollar option.XS

And I think this case won't fit any other motherboards.

> This machine may have reached it's end-of-life, due to the fan
> removal...

Grr.