[geeks] [good joke] for all you overclocking haters

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Apr 29 11:01:24 CDT 2003

I just found this on a local absurdness NG.

Overclocker Creates Rift in Space-Time Continuum

Santa Cruz, CA - A rift in the space-time continuum was created today
when overclocker Jamie Aperman ran a 750 MHz Coppermine Pentium III at
1.6 GHz.  Overclocking has long been blamed for causing global warming,
but this is the first occasion that the fabric of space-time has been
damaged.
MIT Professor George Greznowski said, "It appears that the CPU was
operating so fast that it began to execute instructions before they
arrived.  This execution of future instructions created a small tear in
the fabric of space-time itself through which part of the motherboard
passed into a parallel universe."

No one was injured in the accident, but a computer motherboard was
partially damaged.    Mr. Aperman better known as SpeedPhreeek said,
"I'm pissed.  I lost a brand new Alpha Cooler and Coppermine to a
parallel universe.  I called my insurance company and they don't cover
losses to rifts in the space-time continuum."

Intel researchers have long warned of such damage to the space-time
continuum, and added clock multiplier locks to their CPUs before they
were required by Congress.  A bill is now in the US Senate which would
require a three day waiting period for purchasers of Alpha Cooling Fans
and Peltier cooling devices.  The bill would also require clock
multiplier locks on all new processors.

Overclocking advocate Horace Spencer said, "This bill before Congress
won't prevent overclocking.  They'll just create a black market for
non-locked processors.   Most of the top overclockers already get their
goods from Taiwan."

(source: http://bbspot.com)

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be