[geeks] I am week

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Tue Apr 29 07:23:09 CDT 2003

    Joshua> I have a HP kayak machine.  It seems to think that there should be a fan
    Joshua> at the top in the back, but there is none there.  I'm fairly certain it
    Joshua> isn't really needed for cooling, but it won't boot without one.  I can't
    Joshua> find anything in the bios to make it boot anyway.  Anyone know what to
    Joshua> do?  This is a P2-300 machine, so it is a fairly early
    Joshua> model.

We have a bunch of P2-400 Kayak machines.  I was quite impressed with
them, they seem to be as well built as the "big" HP machines.  In any
case, with all of the ducts/covers in place the top rear fan is the one
that cools the CPU and Memory.  I would be concerned that since the
entire case is designed around having the various ducts, covers, and
fans in place that you would then end up with cooling problems without
them.  Since the fan only has a two-pin connector, I doubt the detection
circuit is doing anything other than looking for the right current, so
you might be able to fool it with an appropriate resistor.

--
David L. Kindred <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator