[geeks] I am week

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Mon Apr 28 22:04:19 CDT 2003

I bought a Vectra dual PPro 200 new back in 1996.  From my
understandings the Vectra's and the Kayaks were very closely
related.  That Vectra 6/200 was a very well built unit, as far
as PCs go.  The BIOS sucks when it comes to recognizing IDE
drives but it has onboard SCSI so who cares :)  Other than
that i have never had an issue with it in the past seven
years.

I remember buying it mostly due to an article in Byte that
stated something about the bus bandwidth between the memory
and the CPUs being higher than it's competitors (i was mostly
comparing it to ALR's offerings at the time), but i don't
remember much about it and have no idea if there is any truth
to it anyway.  For what it's worth, i do remember that the
DIMMS (ECC) had to be installed in pairs.  This was
somewhat uncommon at the time.

Point being, if the Kayak in reference is built to the
same quality as the Vectra i am referring to, i would keep it
around.

/KRM

keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/