[geeks] I am week

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 06:28:58 CDT 2003

--- "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a PC running to run windows on.

OK.

> I also hope to give Lindows and VMWare on windows a spin, for
> helping a friend who wants to switch, but isn't highly computer
> literate.

P2-300 MHz is a *minimal* VMWare machine, that is the Mfg. stated
minimum, IIRC - it will be on the slow side, like a P2-100 -> P2-150
(due to emulation overhead)...

> I have a HP kayak machine.  It seems to think that there should be a
> fan at the top in the back, but there is none there.

And you have specific error messages that point this out, right?

> I'm fairly certain it isn't really needed for cooling, but it won't
> boot without one.

Any idea where the fan went? Can you get enough specifics to secure a
replacement? If you can get any info on the MB jumpers, you may be able
to "fake it out", but if the fan was there originally, it may actually
be needed...

Honestly, a P2-300 machine like you describe may make a good donor
system to a new MB/chassis - Kayaks (IIRC, and I may not RC) are
low-end, minimally engineered machines (i.e. small SP, limited
expansion, etc.)... Maybe you should look for a new/known good P2 MB &
case to transplant CPU, RAM, HD, CD, etc...

This machine may have reached it's end-of-life, due to the fan
removal...

=====
Lionel