[geeks] Re: True64 UNIX

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 18 00:08:45 CDT 2003

>never mind, found the answer
>
>http://h30097.www3.hp.com/noncommercial-unix/
>
>should have googled first
>
>$99 is kind of steep for a hobbyist thing.... guess i
>should just be happy it's available at all
>
>/KRM

I'm speculating, but I think you'll find that HPaq has to pay 3rd party
licensing fees for every copy of Tru64 or OpenVMS that gets shipped out the
door. The $99 price on the non-commercial package is just a nominal fee to
reduce unnecessary distribution and to cover the costs of runing the
non-commercial program.

I've been told by someone (who I trust) that 3rd party code licensing
issues are the reason why SGI doesn't have a non-commercial licensing
program in place for IRIX.

Regards,

Gavin