[geeks] Why is everyone so OSX happy?

Gary Nichols gary at linuxforce.org
Fri Apr 11 15:24:05 CDT 2003

> Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:
> > So please someone, let me know what is so @%$&*@#! great about
> > it?  Then perhaps i will see the light too....

My dual 1Ghz Powermac running OS X and it's matching 20" Cinema display
have provided me with the most enjoyable computing experience I have ever
had.

I'm a total *nix weenie mind you, but I'm willing to overlook a few
GUI inconsistencies for a rock-solid OS, easy to use GUI and both free AND
commercial software available.

I can use fink and X11 to run all my favorite linux applications.  I can
go buy commercial stuff that I really like.

I love to hang out at the Apple store and
talk geek shop, play with new kit or check out new software.

I love the PASSION that the mac community has.  I love the linux
community, but it's so damn divided that it frustrates me sometimes.

The only division I've found in the Apple community is the OS 9'ers vs the
OS X'ers.

OS X has been very successful in my house - I run it, both my daughters
run it on their iMacs - and my wife is due to switch to her Powermac
anytime.

Yes folks, the house is windows free.

I wouldn't trade my new computing experience for anything right now.