[geeks] Oh my god...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Nov 29 13:16:00 CST 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:10:18AM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> --- Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> > I still would like to get some DB/2 experience someday, but I rather
> > like Postgress.  I wish I knew more on the O in ORDBM.
>
> DB/2 is available for Linux, dunno the requirements, but it could be
> fun to play with...
>
> DB/2 is great, but I haven't touched it for over 10 years - I think it
> is called (or at least packaged as) Universal Server, or some similar
> name... I think there is even a book on DB/2 Universal Server that
> includes the database for Linux...

Yeah, I know it's out there for linux.  I think it is free for
developers, or something like that.  Is it also available for Suns?  Of
course, I now have some IBM RS/6000s, so I could consider DB/2 on them,
maybe.

I think that DB/2 has supposedly changed a lot in the last 10 years.
Like, my recall is that they have added more object relational
features.

Of course, the ultimate way to get DB2 would either be on an AS/400 or a
S/390.  Database appliance, yeah.

--
Joshua D. Boyd