DD'ing IRIX Disks (was Re: [geeks] Apple vs. Sun)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Nov 7 13:37:21 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:22:39PM -0600, Jonathan C Patschke wrote:

> It works well except for when you try to build -anything- that needs
> inet_ntoa() or semaphores, which includes the three main applications I
> run on my server: Apache, PostgreSQL, and Postfix.  Apache and Postfix
> see every connection coming from 255.255.255.255 or 0.0.0.0, and
> PostgreSQL just fails miserably due to the lack of semaphores.

Now, out of curiosity, why hasn't somebody written an assembly template
to work around this?

Like have a function:
char *gcc_inet_ntoa(struct in_addr in) {
  char * ret;
  __asm {
    //...
    //code to place in in the registers correctly
    call inet_ntoa
    //code to take the return from inet_ntoa (would it be in a reg or on
    //the stack?  Not familiar enoguh with MIPS asm) and stick it in ret
  }
  return ret;
}

> The GCC team has known about this bug for -years- and says "it is
> difficult to fix."  I'd work on fixing it myself if, instead of
> MIPSpro, I had lots of free time.

It also sounds like it should be simple for someone to make a wrapper
library to fix most of the problems.

--
Joshua D. Boyd