[geeks] home mp3 system suggestions

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 30 14:59:52 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:47:56PM -0600, Dave Kimmel wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > BTW, http://www.pjrc.com/store/mp3_pcb_assem.html
> > Just add a SIMM, a power supply, and an IDE disk drive.  It is $150.
> > And it supports high bitrate MP3s.  Not a bad starting point for a car
> > MP3 player.
>
> Damn, not bad at all!
>
> Unfortunately, I bought an MP3 deck for my car not too long after buying
> the car.  In spite of this, I still think that building one based on
> something like that (my thought was a cheap laptop hidden in the trunk)
> would be cool.

In the house, I'm not to interested in MP3s.  But in the car, they are
alright, maybe because my car stereo is worse than a cheap pair of
radio shack headphones connected to a walmart special sub $50 CD
player.

But, I don't expect I'll be doing anything for the car, and thus just
want something that takes raw audio, or flac files, over a
network/serial port/long cable run USB.

--
Joshua D. Boyd