[geeks] home mp3 system suggestions

Dave Kimmel crisco_kid at shaw.ca
Thu May 30 14:53:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Yeah, if I'm going to use ethernet, a microcontroller of some sort
> would be needed.  I was hoping for a completely dumb appliance for
> simplicity sake.  Also, I'm pretty set against not using an MP3 chip
> since I don't have much in the way of MP3 files.  If I was using MP3,
> it would be easy enough to stream over serial.  Instead, I want to
> send an uncompressed audio stream out.

That might actually make it easier to do...  I just wonder if a PIC would
be fast enough to do that.  It would probably have to just set up and
babysit DMA from the ethernet to memory and memory to the DAC.  I think
that's how the SliMP3 does things, except for s/DAC/MP3 decoder/ of
course.

-- Dave Kimmel
   crisco_kid at shaw.ca