[geeks] home mp3 system suggestions

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu May 30 10:32:00 CDT 2002

  I've been toying with similar ideas myself, not to the point of hardware yet.  I was thinking of doing it all streamed to browser, on switched 100Mb with not much other load I should be able to get good quality.  A PHP frontend to a simple database (MySQL?) would allow custom playlists, download/upload capability, etc.
  The only issue is multiplatform streaming, which might not apply to your friends situation.
  Mine will eventually be all integrated with the family photo database, allowing custom album creation on the fly, etc.  I haven't decided on file organization for audio yet, but photos will be stored with autogenerated file names, with actual subject/keywords in a database.  An md5 hash in the database should allow rebuilding the database in case of disaster also.

This is all still in my head, I haven't done anything yet but rip my CD collection to MP3.

Tim