[geeks] home mp3 system suggestions

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu May 30 10:18:37 CDT 2002

Friend/client of mine wants everything below.  See my thoughts; any
suggestions appreciated.

-----------
As far as what I want on the mp3, this would be ideal.
1. A master library computer that can house several gigs of files from
audio galaxy, napster, etc that I've downloaded.
2.  Ability to access them from other computers and play them on other
systems through those other laptops--like, for example, in the guest house.
3.  Ability to burn them quickly to wav file and custom compile
4.  Ability to convert existing records and CD's to MP3's and store on
this master system.
I'm more concerned with quality than saving a few bucks here and there.
I don't want to overkill, but I do want to spend an extra $50 if it gives
me noticeable more quality on the audio.
----- End forwarded message -----

1.  Mac, with iTunes, running Samba so he can drag-n-drop from his Windows box.
2.  Mac, running OS X, with Apache and NetJuke
    (http://netjuke.sourceforge.net/)
3.  Mac, with iTunes, and an IDE CD-R in an external IDE-FireWire enclosure
4.  Mac, with iTunes (well, dunno about the records, but I can work on that)

So, thoughts?  I think there's only one way to do this "right".  This guy's
a Windows person with very limited Mac experience, but if I set this up right,
it could be as "hands off" as possible.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford