[geeks] Just and EBay horror story.

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Thu May 30 00:48:37 CDT 2002

"Peter L. Wargo" wrote:

> Well, the good things must be balanced by bad.  A couple of weeks back, I
> picked up a Quadra 650 that promised "extra RAM", etc.  It arrived
> yesterday in the worse shape I've ever seen for a computer - not only
> badly packed, but the case, insides, etc. were *filthy* and packed with
> dist, bug carcasses.  Looks like it came originally from a heavy smoker.
> $20 + shipping and it's junk. It runs, but it smells so bad I can't put it
> in the house, and I don't dare reply on any of the parts, they are so
> gunked up.

If you have the spare time and energy for it, it can be fixed.
I once rescued a Sun IPC from the junkyard. These bastards always
destroy things, thrash the curcuit-board on computers, before they leave
it (useless) in the junkyard. For some reason, they didn't (completely)
trash this baby, so I snagged it.
It was _very_ dirty, after sitting for YEARS at an engineering industry,
collecting awful lot of dustparticles, smoke, metaldebree and
God-knows-what. It looked like shit, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I started out with taking everything apart. The diskdrive and harddrive
was trashed so I just threw them right away. I popped off the
motherboard and powersupply, separating the cables, and used hot water +
dishbrush to clean every bit out.
When every part looked clean, I sat it on a table to dry for about a
week, just to make sure there was NO WATER left.
Heck, the scariest part was probably the powersupply, but it worked.

And after the final assembly, it worked like a charm.
I've no idea what to use this IPC for, it still stands in the basement,
but atleast I saved it from a certain death. :-)

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB