[geeks] Ok I am ready to kill this Fu**ing linux box

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Mon May 27 16:20:50 CDT 2002

On Monday, May 27, 2002, at 01:37 PM, alex j avriette wrote:

>> Yeah, the main thing stopping me is the whole "What would I use it
>> for?"
>> question.  I suppose that I could use it as an ssh/X terminal, but I
>> think
>> those purposes would be better served by MacOS apps.
>
> i recently rescued my very first computer. i had used computers that
> were my dad's before, but this one was mine: a quadra 660av. my plan is
> for openbsd or netbsd on it, and for probably 2x 2gb disk. i dont know
> what it will do, and i really dont care. i just want it around for the
> nostalgia. reminiscing.

The AV Quadras are my favorite macs.  I have both a 660AV and an 840AV.
(I had gotten another 660AV, but the motherboard was damaged when the
battery leaked.)

The 660AV was the first mac that I bought since my 512Ke.  I loved that,
and it worked great until I sold it to get a 7100/80 AV.  Sadly, the
7100 was not as good with video as the 660.

In fact, my 840AV in being used to capture video - it has the
Spigotpower AV card in it, and I just did my first 1/2-hour trial,
capturing a TV show as a test.  I then transferred it over to the G4,
and I'm encoding it for a VCD.

The 68K AV macs were *amazing* computers for the time.  I have 7.5.5 on
mine, and they feel really snappy.

-Pete