[geeks] Running old F77 codes

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon May 27 10:21:31 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:45:25AM -0600, Robert Bourque wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a number of Fortran 77 engineering codes that I wrote decades ago for running on a Vax/VMS system.  I want to start editing and running them again with minimal hassle.  I have tried Compaq Fortran but find it unintelligible.
>
> I have been advised that the best way to this is to get a used Vax computer.  I don't think I need very much.  These are modest engineering codes with no more than 15,000 lines of Fortran 77 and no parallel processing.  Maybe a small used Microvax will work.  But I also need compatible peripherals like monitor and keyboard, and removable media so I can transfer data to a Windows machine.  I also need some basic Vax text editing software like TEDI.

Ahem.  Maybe you want a monitor, keyboard, and removable media.  But there
is this brand spanking new feature that is really quite nifty.  You can do
some arcane thing called networking the windows machine to the vax, then
control the vax remotely, and transfer files over the network.

All the cool kids are doing it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd