[geeks] Training

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sat May 25 10:49:01 CDT 2002

>  anyways, I'm happy 'cause he gave me an old "scrapped" Beige G3, that
> wouldn't boot, he has no one to work on macs...... turns out theres A:
> no ram in the machine and B: it had a bad PRAM battery.... now to play
> with my new toy and think about OS-X if it is compatible with this
> beastie :)

osx is a pain in the ass on those machines. i've got four of them at
work. i got them together because they had been surplused and were going
to be thrown away. i needed a farm to work on log files (>2GB/day).
anyhow, i couldnt get osx to install happily on any of them, and there
was nothing but problems. there is more data on apples site, sorry i
dont have a url. anyhow, i wound up running linux on them, and they work
fine as a cluster now. i'm not sure what i'd do with just one of them.
it is pretty overclockable, you should expect 15-20% to work ok. the
other thing is, it has an ATTO scsi controller which will do HW raid, i
believe.

alex