[geeks] Ok I am ready to kill this Fu**ing linux box

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Fri May 24 13:26:53 CDT 2002

On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 09:49 , Dave Kimmel wrote:

> I *think* that my Quadra 610 will run OpenBSD.  I managed to boot a
> Linux
> kernel on it, which implies that the 68LC040 isn't one of the ones that
> can't run a unix (something about FPU emulation, IIRC).

Most Quadra 610's were full '040's, only the 8/160 config was an LC.
Are you sure you have the LC?  (IF you do, I have a spare 040 25MHz
kicking around...)

> All of the HOWTOs I've seen for running either Linux or OpenBSD on this
> involve using a bunch of MacOS tools and, once its installed, booting it
> using a MacOS app.  This doesn't really appeal to me.

Yeah, but that's the way it's done to get around some of the mac
firmware.  The good news is that you can make a really small MacOS
partition and just have a bootable system on it as well as the utility.
Put the utility in as a startup item, and booting is still automatic.

   [...]
> has MacOS and no traces of OpenBSD, and another that has OpenBSD and no
> traces of MacOS.

As far as I know, you can't do it.  I'd love for somebody to prove me
wrong...

-Pete