[geeks] Ok I am ready to kill this Fu**ing linux box

Dave Kimmel crisco_kid at shaw.ca
Fri May 24 11:49:21 CDT 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> I don't use either, so phhhhhbt.  (I do have openBSD on a couple of
> boxes, but they are 68K macs.)

Stupid question:

I *think* that my Quadra 610 will run OpenBSD.  I managed to boot a Linux
kernel on it, which implies that the 68LC040 isn't one of the ones that
can't run a unix (something about FPU emulation, IIRC).

All of the HOWTOs I've seen for running either Linux or OpenBSD on this
involve using a bunch of MacOS tools and, once its installed, booting it
using a MacOS app.  This doesn't really appeal to me.

Is there some way of putting a new hard drive into this thing and
installing OpenBSD in the same way I would if I was using a PC (ie,
booting off the install media, using fdisk, mkfs, etc from the installer)?
Most importantly, will it boot without having to be booted from a MacOS
application?  What I'd like to end up with is two hard drives - one that
has MacOS and no traces of OpenBSD, and another that has OpenBSD and no
traces of MacOS.

-- Dave Kimmel
   crisco_kid at shaw.ca