[geeks] C compiler won't create executables ..WTF?h

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri May 24 05:19:30 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 08:12:40PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> It's easy.  Just go the the RedHat ftp site (or a mirror) and
> download the version rpm tells you you need.  You can also
> use rpmfind.net to find the version.

Easy, but a pain in the backside.

> The only problem is you may need to download another rpm to
> install the rpm you just downloaded, and that rpm may require
> another rpm, etc.  When you download the first rpm, keep the
> ftp connection open to keep downloading the files as you are
> told you need them.  That can be a PITA.

Use Debian.  You know you want to.  apt-get install foo, and bang, foo and
all its dependencies get installed.

> I know there's a way to get a list of all the rpms you need
> at once, but I can't remember how right now.

And you still have to download them manually.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

    It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
    what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
        -- Alan Cooper