[geeks] C compiler won't create executables ..WTF?

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Thu May 23 20:16:45 CDT 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 08:52 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > Now I go to run congure and it barfs cannot find zlib. I *KNOW* zlib is
> > on this box.
>
> Read the tail-end of config.log or configure.log again.  Configure
> stupidly says "I can't find $foo!" if it cannot compile a program that
> uses $foo[1].  There may be something else causing that error.

here is the output:

int main() {
XtMalloc()
; return 0; }
configure:8750: checking for gzsetparams in -lz
configure:8769: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lz   1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 8758 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

All I want to do is get this friggin xine working.

Gimme BSD and ports anyday over this RPM bullshit

Mike N