[geeks] C compiler won't create executables ..WTF?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu May 23 19:52:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> Now I go to run congure and it barfs cannot find zlib. I *KNOW* zlib is on
> this box.

Read the tail-end of config.log or configure.log again.  Configure
stupidly says "I can't find $foo!" if it cannot compile a program that
uses $foo[1].  There may be something else causing that error.

Computers suck.  Rah rah rah!

--Jonathan
[1] It'll also throw this error if the preprocessor cannot #include
    <$foo.h>, depending on how the configure.in script was written.