[geeks] C compiler won't create executables ..WTF?h

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu May 23 20:12:40 CDT 2002

> > OK, that is what it needed.
> >
> > Now I go to run congure and it barfs cannot find zlib. I *KNOW* zlib is
> > on
> > this box.
> >
> > Sometimes I *REALLY* hate computers
>
> linux. you hate linux. just remember that. i had the identical problem
> with rh 7.2 at work on my database server. my first plan was to install
> rpm, because thats the redhat way. unfortunately, i couldnt find the
> zlib that it required. see, there are *several* packages running around
> named zlib, as you will find poking around on google.
>
> the next problem is for whatever damn reason, if you get the wrong
> version, whatever is looking for it wont be able to find it.
>
> so you need to find the right zlib, and then the right version thereof.

It's easy.  Just go the the RedHat ftp site (or a mirror) and
download the version rpm tells you you need.  You can also
use rpmfind.net to find the version.

The only problem is you may need to download another rpm to
install the rpm you just downloaded, and that rpm may require
another rpm, etc.  When you download the first rpm, keep the
ftp connection open to keep downloading the files as you are
told you need them.  That can be a PITA.

I know there's a way to get a list of all the rpms you need
at once, but I can't remember how right now.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net