[geeks] C compiler won't create executables ..WTF?

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu May 23 20:08:22 CDT 2002

> OK, that is what it needed.
>
> Now I go to run congure and it barfs cannot find zlib. I *KNOW* zlib is
> on
> this box.
>
> Sometimes I *REALLY* hate computers

linux. you hate linux. just remember that. i had the identical problem
with rh 7.2 at work on my database server. my first plan was to install
rpm, because thats the redhat way. unfortunately, i couldnt find the
zlib that it required. see, there are *several* packages running around
named zlib, as you will find poking around on google.

the next problem is for whatever damn reason, if you get the wrong
version, whatever is looking for it wont be able to find it.

so you need to find the right zlib, and then the right version thereof.

good luck.

alex