[geeks] the everpresent salary question

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu May 23 09:08:31 CDT 2002

so i find myself in the job market again.

i am poking around and looking at salary surveys. the first one that
popped up on google was:

http://www.itclubusa.com/survey.htm

this may shock some of you, but the publicized salaries are all around
45% higher here in the DC/MD/VA Metro area than they are on that survey.
(all positions below are senior)

I'm seeing help desk making between $52k and $83k, project managers
making between $108k and $166k, unix SA's making between $82k and $133k,
dbas between $109k and $166k as well.

cost of living here is quite a bit more than you might expect, I pay
$2k/month for a 2br apartment in the city. but still, this seems a
little high. can people in the DC area (or outside) corroborate these
rates for me? i'm trying to figure out what i should be asking for as I
begin to interview again.

alex