[geeks] Ahh, the smell of Athlon's burning up

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed May 22 13:48:11 CDT 2002

I buy Asus boards, my wife's PC is a K7m, Athlon 800(slot) mine is an A7V, Duron 700, and neither mobo has caused a bit of trouble.  mine is currently offline because the fan on the GForce card quit, and the card went away.  My wifes is running Win98, probably the longest lived win98 the family has had.  The secret to cooling PCs is not how many fans, but how the case is arranged.  I round all my flat cables, close off all unnecessary holes with duct tape, and arrange the fans so air enters the front, exits the rear, straight through the case.  if you leave holes open without fans in them you get random airflow, and they tend to suck air in the back and blow it right back out the powersupply, which cools nothing in the case.  A lot of PCs will drop several degrees just plugging up the empty holes inthe back.  I have also seen situations where the fins on the CPU were perpendicular to the airflow, and the bigger case fans would effectively starve the cpu fan, and the case wou!
ld run cool, but the cpu hot.  In those cases if I can't turn the heatsink I try to do some ducting in the box so the airflow helps the CPU fan, not starves it.  As a general rule I don't like orb type circular heatsinks, they just blow/suck air in a circle, which interferes with good straight through cooling.  The cheesy little 5.25 face plate fans in the empty drive bays can be a big step toward good straight through cooling.

I have alway enjoyed the contrast between a generic PC case and brand name warkstation hardware.  We grumble about our sun pizza/shoeboxen, but they really do a lot better than attempting to stick random hardware in a box that size.  Apple is really good at case ducting, they have always run stuff fanless with no CPU fans etc. and I never hear about heat failures, even a lot of the PPC all-in-one cases had no fans other than PS, and there is a monitor in that box.

Tim