[geeks] Ebay. Aaaagh!

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Mon May 20 20:23:01 CDT 2002

on 5/20/02 9:03 PM, Peter L. Wargo at pwargo at basenji.com wrote:

> Well, this is my first and last "Mass sell off" on eBay.  Too much work,
> and now I'm dealing with somebody who doesn't want to pay the shipping on
> their item. (It's 27lbs, and needs to go from San Diego to Florida).  They
> are surprised at the cost, "I would never have bid on it if I knew what it
> would cost." EVEN THOUGH I put in my ad that they would pay for
> professional packaging *and* shipping from a Mailboxes, Etc.  EVEN THOUGH
> I answered lots of questions from OTHER people before the auctions closed.

In my experience the folks that work in those shipping places are NOT
packing experts. Just cuz they pack loads of boxes don't mean diddly if they
are doing it wrong from the start. I have had more stuff packed by 'experts'
come FSCKed up that I can tell you about. Stuff that people *paid* extra to
have packed by an 'expert' even.

> Geez, I tell you.  Then when I mentioned that he is paying less with the
> shipping than what I paid for the unit 10 months ago, he insuated that
> he's having to pay for repairs, and that "I'm making him nervous".  I
> explained to him that I decided to dismantle my studio for the space and
> go digital, and that I don't pull crap like that.

Rule #1 People suck
Rule #2 see rule one.

> Hell, I even posted that I would not try to backcharge PayPal charges.  I
> got hit by that by one guy, telling me AFTER the auction closed.

You cannot charge for paypal fees on eBay. It is against eBay rules. It is
also illegal by some statute in Cali.

Mike N